Saturday, December 7, 2013

Back Home at Fibber McGee's


  As is the unspoken custom of Thanksgiving eve, I went out a bar in my hometown of Beverly, MA. I have a pretty strong aversion to high school reunion type scenarios and I don’t really understand why so many people prefer to eat their turkey hung over, but I was convinced to visit Fibber McGee’s with a few old friends.

  I was immediately surprised that the relatively small bar was packed wall to wall with Beverly townies. Fibber’s had the congested feel of “party” type bars like Smokehouse in Lowell, but no actual dancing involved. Trying to navigate from one side of the bar to the other did provide the awkward physical contact with random people customary in party bars though.

  It was encouraging to find that very few people from my high school class were at Fibber’s, so I was able to breathe a sigh of relief. Fibber’s seemed to house more of a late 20s crowd who were enjoying drinks as a break from real jobs rather than a break from college. It made me realize that I’m dangerous close to joining the post-grad demographic, which was a thought I quickly repressed.

  The beers were decently priced and I snagged a couple Blue Moon’s at $5 each. Attempting to add to the party vibe, Fibber’s also offered jello shots and “mystery shots.” (The mystery shot turned out to be cheap whiskey, which I happen to be a connoisseur of). After sampling those, I made a quick departure and went home.

  I can’t say I despised Fibber’s, but I can’t really say I liked it much either. I think there’s something bar hopping in my home town that is a bit off-putting. It’s because I remember walking past these places as a kid and now I’m drinking beers in them. I know that 22 is not old, but it felt that way at Fibber’s.


Cheapness: 3
Beer Selection: 3
Atmosphere: 3.5
General Crowd: 2
Romantic Potential: 2.5

No comments:

Post a Comment