Saturday, November 16, 2013

A Hidden Gem at the Back Page


Adjacent to the canal of downtown Lowell and under the towering shadow of the Inn and Conference Center sits the Back Page. This unassuming establishment has been one of the most pleasant surprises of my Lowell bar hopping experience.

The music scene at the Back Page is the best I've seen in Lowell thus far. Rather than pulling random semi-drunk amateurs from the crowd, this bar gets some legitimate talent. Every time I've been to the Back Page, the bands have killed it and this trip was no different. The best part may be that the crowd actually listens to all the bands and appreciates the performance. This makes sense because music is the main attraction of the place.

As I observed the patrons of the Back Page, I realized I was wading deeper into the waters of hipster culture than I have in any of my previous late night excursions. I can't say that's really my scene, but any place that prominently features obscure music tends to draw that crowd. Contrary to popular belief, some of these hipsters were pretty friendly and open to conversation with two somewhat disheveled college students.

I'm referencing specifically to one woman whom my friend and I met outside the bar. LaQuisha willingly shared her "silly cigarette" with us and talked about her aspirations of making it big in NYC. As we passed the "silly cigarette" she read us a selection of her poetry and we discussed the artistic merits of writing. This was probably the most stereotypically hipster experience of my life and I laugh thinking back on it, but I always enjoy mingling with the bar crowd.

As is the case with most classier bars, the drinks were on the pricier side.We ordered one Harpoon each and that was all our barren wallets could handle. This was also a tell-tale sign that I'm coming to the end of both the semester and my journey through Lowell's bars. The waitress was very understanding of my plight, however, and told me I should apply for a bar back job. The hospitality was appreciated, but I told her that I wouldn't trust myself in that role.

Despite my dwindling resources, I hope to soldier on and finish my bar reviews strong...the Back Page has spurred me on.

Cheapness: 2
Beer Selection: 4
Atmosphere: 4.5
General Crowd: 4
Romantic Potential: 3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment