Thursday, October 3, 2013

Beer done right at Beer Works

After beginning my expedition through Lowell's bar with the Worthen and Charlie's Pub, I realized I needed a change of pace. That change was Beer Works and, though I've been there multiple times before, I knew it was worth a review.

Beer Works undoubtedly has the best beer selection I've seen thus far and I don't expect any other Lowell bars to surpass this place in that category. Looking at the sign showcasing their beers presented the overwhelming task of choosing from a list where everything seemed appealing.

Beer Works' panoply of beers changes by the season.
After much deliberation, the two beers I tried were pumpkin works ale and a nut brown ale. Comparing these two beers to the PBR and Miller Highlife I've been drinking at the previous bars is like comparing a five star restaurant to McDonald's.


Nut Brown Ale from Beer Works
Though the wide array of unique beers is the main draw for Beer Works, the bar is also a prime location to sit back and watch some sports. As a sports fan, it's always pleasing to see some flat screen TVs aligned on the wall behind the bar.


 I visited Beer Works in late September, but the winter months of hockey season are usually when the house is packed. Only a few minutes walk from the Tsongas, Beer Works is one of the best pre-game spots. And, there is the added benefit of pre-gaming with high quality beers as opposed to pounding Natty Ice in a cluttered apartment.

The atmosphere at Beer Works is very family oriented. Observing the seating area, it seemed like many people were either out on dates or part of group outings. I wouldn't call this a college bar aside from before a hockey game, but I definitely appreciated the vibe.


My only gripe with Beer Works is that it isn't very easy on the wallet for a college student. The two tall beers I ordered ended up costing $15. The quality clearly justifies the price, but sometimes it's more economical to explore other options. Personally, I use Beer Works as a reward for the completion of a hectic week and as a reminder to my palate that real beer does exist outside the realms of the UMass Lowell campus.

I'll probably revisit Beer Works in October, so here are some upcoming beers to look forward to.

Cheapness: 2.5
Beer Selection: 5
General Crowd: 3
Atmosphere: 3.5
Romantic Potential: 3.5

 

No comments:

Post a Comment