Thursday, October 10, 2013

Karaoke Night at Finn's Pub

When it comes to bars, there are weekend crowds and then there are weekday crowds. The discrepancy between these two brands of bar-goers can often be very significant.

The cluster of people at Finn's Pub last night was so prototypical 'Wednesday' that it was hard not to laugh at times. And, to make things more interesting, it happened to be karaoke night.

By the front door of this Irish themed pub with strikingly green walls was a microphone stand for aspiring singers to serenade the sparse audience with their vocal prowess.

The fish tank at Finn's. I presume the fish is named "Finn."
A bearded guy, who apparently thought a plaid shirt and plaid shorts were a viable combo, definitely stole the show last night. His rendition of the popular song "Some Nights" by the band fun was possibly the worst thing  I've ever heard.

Swaying with the mic, this shameless singer ignored all sense of tone as he inserted his own made-up lyrics where he forgot the real ones. The climax came when he hit the high notes by literally screaming nonsense for about 15 glorious seconds. By the end, I was in stitches. This performance was so horrible, that it was awesome.

Another prime-time performer was an older man dressed in a military shirt and hat. His criticism of the plaid singer was pretty harsh, so I expected him to deliver when his turn came. He opened with the Guns N' Roses classic "Sweet Child O' Mine." His raspy voice filled with tones of subtle anguish and wisdom was able to belt out a pretty good song.

Unfortunately, he didn't quit while he was ahead. His next choice of "Closer" by Nine Inches Nails was a very questionable one. I may just be me, but I find something off putting about an old military man shouting the lyrics "I wanna fuck you like an animal" before an audience of about 10 people. After finishing his dark and uncomfortable set, he returned to his seat near my friend and I to tell us, "I think I sent the message." If the message was that he is a potential psychopath, then that message was well sent.

This was our cue to leave, so we quickly downed the rest of our beers and departed Finn's before things got weirder.

Cheapness: 3
Beer Selection: 3
General Crowd: 3
Atmosphere: 2
Romantic Potential: 1.5

No comments:

Post a Comment